Frequently asked questions2018-09-23T13:09:35+01:00

Frequently asked questions

Do I need a visa to visit Botswana?2018-09-23T11:57:28+01:00

European, australian, american nationals are exempt from visa requirements for Botswana and Namibia. In order to visit Zambia or Zimbabwe it is necessary to obtain a visa, which is available on the spot at the border posts, and payable in US dollars.

Please note that your passport needs to be valid for more than 6 months after the date of your return and needs to have at least two blank pages in it.
Should you travel with your family, please check the requirements for children in South Africa (even for a transit) and in Botswana.

Is the water in Botswana suitable for drinking?2018-09-23T11:59:16+01:00

Water is suitable for drinking in all the towns in Botswana although the taste is not always the best! When visiting the national parks and game reserves, please equip yourself with a sufficient number of 5l bottles of mineral water for your daily needs. Be aware that the water in the Kalahari and the Kgalagadi is too salty for consumption.

What is the voltage and type of plug used in Botswana?2018-09-23T12:02:37+01:00

There are 2 different types of plugs, both in common use; it is therefore advisable to bring 2 corresponding adaptors (voltage: 220-240 volts AC, 50Hz).

South African type:


Round 3-pin plugs

British type:


Square 3-pin plugs

Is Botswana a safe country?2018-09-23T12:03:34+01:00

Botswana is a peaceful, stable and democratic country with a low crime rate. Just as in any country in the world, it makes sense to be vigilant as usual in town and make sure that your vehicle is locked when parked.

What’s the price of petrol in Botswana?2018-09-23T12:04:20+01:00

Petrol costs between 8 and 9 BWP a litre in Botswana, that is roughly 0.75 euros /litre.

What’s the speed limit in Botswana?2018-09-23T12:05:53+01:00

Along the major roads, speed limits are set according to the following situations:

  • 120 km/h (74 mph) outside of towns
  • 80 km/h (50 mph) when approaching towns and villages
  • 60 km/h (37 mph) in towns and villages
  • 30 km/h (18 mph) where there are road works

Apart from the network of tarmac roads, there’s a speed limit of 80 km/h on the gravel roads and 40 km/h (25 miles) in the game reserves and national parks.

On which side of the road do you drive in Botswana and the neighbouring countries?2018-09-23T12:08:09+01:00

You drive on the left in Botswana, as in South Africa, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi.

How do you hire a vehicle?2018-09-23T13:45:24+01:00

To book a vehicle only, it’s very simple:

1- Contact us by email or by using the booking form, giving us your contact details, the services you require and your booking dates.

2- You will receive a detailed quote with information about payment.

3- If you accept the quote, you have to pay a deposit of 25% of the total of the amount

That’s it! Your car’s booked.

To arrange a full self drive safari (vehicle & accommodation booking):

1- Contact us by email or by using the booking form, giving us your contact details, the services you require and details about wished trip.

2- Following our first tchat, you will receive a detailed itinerary suggestion and an estimated quote for your project.

3- If you accept the quote, we check availability and update if necessary the itinerary.

4- When provisional bookings are done, we send you an invoice. A 50% deposit is required to confirm the trip. Balance is due 60 days before departure.

How do I pay?2018-09-23T13:46:46+01:00

All payments must be made by bank transfer to our account in Botswana or by credit card through our online payment gateway (VISA/MASTERCARD).

When does the booking/reservation fee have to be paid?2018-09-23T13:24:50+01:00

In order to secure a booking of a Tawana Self Drive vehicle, you have to pay 25% of the total cost. the total cost of the booking must be paid within 1 month (minimum) before the date the vehicle is picked up.

Don’t worry, we’ll remind you at the right time!

What happens if I cancel my booking?2018-09-23T13:27:51+01:00

It all depends on the date of the cancellation:

  • 61 days or more before the pick-up of the vehicle: 25% of the booking fee is forfeited. So if you’ve paid in full, you will be reimbursed 75% of that amount.
  • Between 60 and 31 days before the pick-up of the vehicle: 50% of the booking fee is forfeited. You will be reimbursed 50% of the total cost paid.
  • Between 30 and 15 days before the pick-up of the vehicle: 80% of the booking fee is forfeited. You will be reimbursed 20% of the total cost paid.
  • Less than 15 days before the pick-up of the vehicle: 100% of the booking fee is forfeited. You will be reimbursed 0% of the total cost paid.

Can I change my booking dates?2018-09-23T13:29:59+01:00

Yes, if the length of the booking is the same and subject to the availability of the new dates chosen. Prices can be reviewed according to the changes required (time of booking: low season / high season); no penalty will be applied. If the length of the new booking is less than the previous one we will apply the same criteria as for a cancellation, but only for that part of the booking which is equivalent to the cancelled one.

What documents do I need to supply?2018-09-23T13:31:43+01:00

In order to pick up the vehicle, you must present your international driving licence together with your national driving licence (your country of residence). If your national licence is written in english, you won’t need the international driving licence. A copy of these documents will be kept by us.

Is the international driving licence compulsory?2018-09-23T13:32:58+01:00

If you don’t have a local driving licence or a driving licence written in english, then you must present a valid international driving licence.

What does the comprehensive insurance cover?2018-09-23T13:37:17+01:00

The included insurance with any Tawana Self Drive vehicle covers

  • injury and damage caused to a third party (persons and personal belongings),
  • damage caused to the vehicle,
  • theft of the vehicle,
  • fire.

Be aware that this is subject to certain conditions and driving regulations. For further information, please read our general conditions and insurance options!

Please note that this terms apply to Tawana Self Drive cars only. Our partners have their own terms and conditons, available on request.

Do I need further insurance?2018-09-23T13:47:44+01:00

The comprehensive insurance cover only applies to the rental of the vehicle and is not a personal or travel insurance.

We recommend that you take out personal, travel and cancellation cover…before you leave. This kind of cover is often provided by credit card companies, so make enquiries!

We’re members of Okavango Air Rescue and for your safety, we register our clients free of charge with this organisation when a vehicle is hired from us. This membership is set out as an option in other car rental firms.

For further information please read about our safety and assistance measures.

How does the excess work?2018-09-23T13:39:38+01:00

The excess is the maximum amount that you’ll pay in the event of an accident or damage to the vehicle when it’s covered by the insurance.

Be careful, as the insurance is not valid if you don’t respect the rules of driving and of the contract. In which case you would be liable for all costs. So be careful and respect the rules!

Do you have to clean the vehicle before returning it?2018-09-23T13:40:23+01:00

No! You’re on holiday, we’ll take care of it :-)

You have another question?

Contact us